16 May 2011

Reflecting Tomes ~ A Magpie Tale

1.
Reflecting tomes lined in rows
pages coerced together.
A collision of words lies
trapped in sequential narration.
Stories yearn for the feast of your eyes;
it is you that makes them alive.

Meanwhile, your fingers tease
and twirl through filigreed swirls
recessed upon leather bound spines.
Up to the top, your fingers drop
levering a hardbound down.
Hands caress both front and back
opening pages
dancing a story free.

2.
I am book
I mesmerize you
I take you away from you
I open windows to your soul
I smell inky, pungent, old and new.

3.
paper print typeset font

Once nooks were cosy places
where books with pages lived,
now Nooks diminish the thrill for kids
that a leather bound classic tome gives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tess Kincaid at Magpie Tales provides a picture every Monday for writing inspiration. Thanks Tess!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

All three are terrific, but that second one calls out to me!

Mary said...

All of these are impressive, Brenda! I will have to get back into "Mags" again soon.

brenda w said...

Thanks Kim. I like the first one the best. But the books wanted a stronger voice! :)
Mary, I only started up again three or maybe 4 weeks ago. It gives me some direction. I'm glad you like them.
~Brenda

Kathe W. said...

I love all three- brilliant writing- but if I have to choose
the second poem is what I will take with me!

Anonymous said...

Have to agree with most....all great, but number two is spectacular. Vb

M. A. S. said...

I so like the trio. The first is my favorite. And,m though I don't have a Nook, my sister tells me if I get an eReader of any sort, I will love it and read 10x more than I read now. She thought she's hate hers. But, I think if a Nook makes a kid that would not pick up a book, read a book. Then it's fantastic. I mean, how long will it be before books (beautiful books!) are in museums next to scrolls and cave paintings?

brenda w said...

Thanks for stopping by...#2 seems to be a favorite. :)

Michael, We're of a like mind on the first one, and the Nook. I worry about books, but I teach reading to kids who would rather not. SO YES! If they get kids reading, by all means make room for the Nooks and the Kindles!

~Brenda

Brian Miller said...

you can sure spin words and make them dance...wonderful rhymes and cadence...and love how each piece changes the perspective a bit but opens up the whole...and i love books so....filigree, great word

Tumblewords: said...

A lovely book trip -

lucychili said...

they are amazing objects hey =)

Lydia said...

I must admit that I was stumped by this Magpie prompt. You handled it not only aptly, but truly beautifully.